Japanese-English glossary

Connect with your community - network, find work, ask and offer advice about books and products and make new friends

Japanese-English glossary

Postby thomas acu » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:48 am

Good evening from Japan
I do have a question, which is very likely out of place here. If it is, please let me know, where to put it.

Maybe it can be seen from my profile, that I am apart from a (German) acupuncturist practicing for 30 years in Japan also a translator. Translation used to be the foundation of our lifelihood, but times and conditions seem to have changed.

During my translation work, I occasionally also get work related to oriental medicine. Here comes the problem then.
To the best of my knowledge (I did a rather extensive search some time ago), there is only one very little Japanese-English Dictionary of oriental medicine. And this has been made by a Korean person.

So, during translation work I do rely on several "standard" Chinese-English dictionaries and other source. If I find something that suits the context, as well as my interpretation of the matter, I note that term in a spread sheet. Including items like:
-> Chinese characters / Japanese reading in Kana / Japanese reading in alphabet / English translation / alternative translation / Chinese reading in alphabet / links (if any) / pictures (if any) / comments / discussion.
(I am thinking of adding German translations too)

My question / request:
Are there any people on this list that speak/write Japanese, who might be willing to help me by contributing a few possible terms?

Wordwide everybody thinks to believe that Chinese acupuncture (or oriental medicine in a wider sense) is the one and only "authentic" branch in this field of knowledge. However, it is common knowledge and needs not to be detailed here, that in China EVERY piece of information is censored. There is absolutely no reason, why oriental medicine should be an exception here.
If the world then has access to only one (permissible) interpretation, it very much restricts its horizon.
Here in Japan nobody (I mean of people in power and with influence) really gives a "r**ts a**" about oriental medicine. That precisely provides for real freedom of speech. And given the fact, that there is a 1500-year history of oriental medicine here, the Japanese have quit a bit to say, that differs from the Chinese.
Even with basic concepts like yin and yang, I am always under the impression, that interpretations vary. Therefore the use of Chinese-English dictionaries does not provide satisfactory results when translating Japanese material.

* Material: the Japanese have a funny way of collecting all sorts of "material". To the best of my knowledge (again), the largest collection of Buddhist sripts is found in Japan, the largest character dictionary of the world has been edited by a Japanese and is standard issue in every library. I would have to check, how these superlatives read in correlation to classic oriental medical scripts, but I would not be surprised, if they have here a larger collection .....
And if they do, you could be rather sure, that those not replicas modified to suit party guidelines.

I would like to help make some of these materials available to the world. The Japanese themselves are apparently not very keen to do so.
And if anybody could help me out with hints at possible translation (I can provide the file I made so far), this could be a first step.

Thank you.
Thomas Blasejewicz
thomas acu

Re: Japanese-English glossary

Postby thomas acu » Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 am

I posted this message here a year ago. So far, not a single person has shown any interest.
Recently I directly asked a number of Japanese colleagues (for the first time ever) and had a related article on a well frequented website.
Also NO RESPONSE.

I can only surmise, that everybody, Japanese people included, is just outrageously happy (to speak with Linus) with the state controlled and censored information coming from China.
(since the access to valuable Japanese material is practically zero; and some of the available material is really strange ...)
thomas acu

Return to Engage: jobs wanted> locum positions > introductions > recommendations