Not everyone thinks acupuncture is awesome.

Connect with your community - network, find work, ask and offer advice about books and products and make new friends

Not everyone thinks acupuncture is awesome.

Postby Michael Broer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:18 am

Hello friends,

Sometimes I feel that I am a little sheltered. Practising and managing a busy clinic, surrounded by a legion of fans, I sometimes poke my head up out of the clinical setting and see that there are people within the medical profession who do and say things like this:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/doct ... 6219017830

I really don't like the feeling that my study and practice of acupuncture is making people unhappy. Do stories like this make other people out there a little upset? If so, how do you deal with these feelings? Should I just ignore stories like this and just carry on? Is the AMA out to get us? Is my livelihood in jeopardy?

Michael
"Ideas, or, lack of them, can cause disease." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Michael Broer

Re: Not everyone thinks acupuncture is awesome.

Postby jamie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:46 am

Maybe these doctors should focus their attention on why there is a growing dissatisfaction with mainstream medicine, and why there is continued growth and a shift towards CAM. Their assumption that people are generally too uneducated or naive to make informed health decisions, so therefore need protection from 'quakery', is unfounded. What people seemed to be tired of is a one size fits all approach to medicine.

Modern bio-medicine has become so pharmaceutically driven that the answer to all the worlds ill's now seems to be to just find another pill, nutrition and other non-patentable forms of treatment are virtually ignored or demonised as un-scientific. It's like that old saying "If the only tool you possess is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail".

As far as is the AMA out to get us? Sure they are. Should we be worried? Yes..

More.. http://theconversation.edu.au/theres-no ... ities-4576

And more.. http://theconversation.edu.au/tga-all-b ... views-4640
jamie

Postby Michael Broer » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 am

I wonder if other clinicians reading my post have cringed at my naivety. This disdain for acupuncture among the medical profession is surely nothing new, and I suppose it probably pays more to focus on the positives regarding how far acupuncture has come with regard to it's acceptance in the west, and to remind oneself of the countless people who have received so much benefit from traditional east Asian modalities of healing where conventional biomedicine has left them high and dry, so to speak.

In my constant search for understanding of human thought and behaviour, it is messages like this that leave me with so many questions. Like: "If acupuncture is quackery, why are GPs who practise acupuncture not barred from the medical profession?" and "If all medical practise is to be evidence-based, why are clinicians not dragged through the mud for prescribing medications for uses other than what they are indicated for by the manufacturer's own rigorous controlled trials?" Perhaps I should write to the AMA to get some answers to these questions for myself....

I apologise for the sad tone of my original message. I know that my patients and those of my colleagues are happy with the service and the benefits of acupuncture and I would do well to remind myself that there is perhaps no way to make everyone happy.

Thank you Jamie for your thoughtful reply. I share your view on your initial point and have asked myself and others the same question. I just like to make myself aware of my own bias now and again.
"Ideas, or, lack of them, can cause disease." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Michael Broer

Postby jamie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:45 am

Michael Broer wrote:
In my constant search for understanding of human thought and behaviour, it is messages like this that leave me with so many questions. Like: "If acupuncture is quackery, why are GPs who practise acupuncture not barred from the medical profession?" and "If all medical practise is to be evidence-based, why are clinicians not dragged through the mud for prescribing medications for uses other than what they are indicated for by the manufacturer's own rigorous controlled trials?" Perhaps I should write to the AMA to get some answers to these questions for myself....

Hi Michael, according to a survey conducted by Pirotta et al most Victorian GP's agree that acupuncture is safe and effective, with as many as 1 in 7 GP's offering acupuncture as an alternative treatment. Personally I think the majority of attacks on CAM we are seeing are generated by a small group of academics, their views don't seem to be supported across the profession, although it's still worrying.

These articles are a bit old, but still give an indication of GP's general attitudes towards acupuncture and other CAM modalities..

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/172 ... rotta.html

https://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/au ... l#refbody5
jamie

Postby BLANCA » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi Michael,

Whatever one does in life, there will be always people disagreeing.

No matter how criticized acupuncture is, if people feel better with it, there'll be no force in Earth able to stop it.

So just relax and enjoy. From the bottom of your heart. :)
BLANCA

Postby Andre » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:38 am

As far as I remeber the word "Acupuncture" is french.
As is meridians.
We learn a french translation for an oriental medicine.
And just for laughs we pay $ 700 for the honour of being exclusive name rights for a french word through government registration.
Funny enough more people now know what dry needling is than acupuncture.
But if it makes you feel better, Not everyone thinks dry needling is awesome either.
Andre

Return to Engage: jobs wanted> locum positions > introductions > recommendations