The Cocktail Hostess

These professional forums are for practitioners and students of acupuncture and oriental medicine. For FREE membership, go to "register" top RHS corner.

The Cocktail Hostess

Postby NuDaFu » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:59 am

Didn't the thread title attract you?

My username is Nudafu (if you visit spcnet forums you'll know who I am). Soon will be evolving to Redbean. At some point I will be creating a multimedia, TCM-centric blog as Redbean; hence the need to sync my name. Don't hold your breath on when that will be - this year is as choc a bloc as it is.

I had a gracious invitation from Katherine to be this forum's 'cocktail hostess'. That has to be the most novel and not-me role I've been asked to play. Considering I don't own a cocktail dress, never been to a cocktail party, don't drink alcohol, never hosted anything in my life; my first impression: OMG!!!!!!!!

My alcohol in life being challenges, I accept just as graciously (still without the dress or curtsy). Aside: does a curtsy work with jeans?

Short term project: Post everyday. Inject my dry brand of humour into threads (I don't think I'm funny, so this could turn out a down right lie).

Long term project: Build this forum into one of the most reliabe, informative points of TCM reference across the globe. I hear Hong Kong is aiming to be the same. Love me a bit of competition (with my own country of birth at that).
NuDaFu

Re: The Cocktail Hostess

Postby Katherine Berry » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:56 pm

We'll hello there...NaDuFA
And thanks for the spritely introduction and accepting my invite to help out hosting the forums.

I have come to understand that most practitioners are really really shy, and find technology a little overwhelming at times, so the idea of having 'hosts' is to help keep things bubbling along, with the view that everyone will feel welcome here.

Maybe this is a good chance to ask everyone:

1) what would you like from these forums?
2) Why are you here, reading this?
3) What can we do to help your studies or practice of acupuncture easier?

This will help us to host a place where you feel you can ask and share Q/As that help you in your practice.

So?

KB
Katherine Berry
BHSc TCM Acupuncture, MSc Research
Katherine Berry

Postby dragonmonk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:11 pm

1)A place to network, ask questions about tough cases, find jobs that pay millions in a tropical paradise (I lie...im too white and would burn), find out about second hand books and equipment that I don't need but will buy anyway, discuss topics to further the chinese medicine profession, explore new ideas in the field and re-discover old ideas.
2)I'm here for the cocktails but feel that I have been misled, sham on you :cry:
3)Create realistically priced webinars and inform of new courses (masters etc.) offered through different institutions.

8)
It is curious to note the old sea-margins of human thought! Each subsiding century reveals some new mystery; we build where monsters used to hide themselves.
[Henry Wordsworth Longfellow]
dragonmonk

Postby normansavigar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Katherine Berry wrote:
1) what would you like from these forums?
2) Why are you here, reading this?
3) What can we do to help your studies or practice of acupuncture easier?

1) Key thing for me is free flowing discussions on the Forums where nobody feels intimidated about asking a question and everybody feels that they can contribute freely to building the body of knowledge without the threat of being 'put down' by other practitioners. This must be an ego-free environment!

2) Because I will never know everything there is to know about Chinese medicine and somebody here may be able to help me solve a problem.

3) Achieve the above ...
Norman Savigar

Traditional Acupuncturist
Aylesbury UK

Bridgeways Clinic
normansavigar

Postby NuDaFu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:49 am

She's baaack. Apologies for disappearing. I had an extended 'cave retreat' - soul needed exploring. ACMAC reap the benefits because I am now planning a worldwide tour to visit community acupuncture clinics across the globe.

I also am not sure about posting everyday - don't think this forum moves that fast. It's either double posting or answering old posts - must do something about that.

dragonmonk wrote:1)A place to network, ask questions about tough cases, find jobs that pay millions in a tropical paradise (I lie...im too white and would burn), find out about second hand books and equipment that I don't need but will buy anyway, discuss topics to further the chinese medicine profession, explore new ideas in the field and re-discover old ideas.
2)I'm here for the cocktails but feel that I have been misled, sham on you :cry:
3)Create realistically priced webinars and inform of new courses (masters etc.) offered through different institutions.

8)

I'll be content with the "job that pay millions" :mrgreen: . If one were to meet such serendipitous circumstances, I would build a library to house all those "second hand books and equipment" that we may all not need.

I give out cyber cocktails. If you make me laugh (meaning: make everyone laugh), a cocktail you will have my friend. If you can wait for technology to make virtual reality possible for all, that cocktail may taste more real than you think.

I'm working on #3. I've locked in first week of April totally devoted to researching and getting some sort of result up by then. Committing to anything earlier will drive me insane - my patients won't thank anyone for that. Believe me, any institution teaching TCM will be sick of me by the time I've finished with them.

normansavigar wrote:
1) Key thing for me is free flowing discussions on the Forums where nobody feels intimidated about asking a question and everybody feels that they can contribute freely to building the body of knowledge without the threat of being 'put down' by other practitioners. This must be an ego-free environment!

2) Because I will never know everything there is to know about Chinese medicine and somebody here may be able to help me solve a problem.

As to #1, I advise PMing at least Katherine with any potential concerns. You're welcoming to PMing me of course. I'm definitely sure this forum does not condone 'Trolling', yet at the same time, we need to be aware that intent/context may be misinterpreted due to difficulties with expressing nuances in posting. Plus, we may have posters whose first language is not English, which may be another reason for misinterpretation of intent. To reiterate, for all concerned, just make sure you speak up. We don't bite :mrgreen: .

I'm not sure anyone will ever know everything about Chinese Medicine, so I think I'm in your camp too ;). Actually, the more I know, I realise I don't really know anything at all. Socrates sums it up well: I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is I know nothing.

Dragonmonk gave me an idea. What about an ACMAC Cocktail Party? Umm, hopefully with REAL LIVE cocktails to satisfy people who want something stronger than cordial ;).
NuDaFu

Return to Welcome! Read this first...