Paul Unschuld TCM Definition

History and philosophy, meridian theory, clinical application and general discussions

Postby Wendy Williams » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:21 am

I learn so much from everyone.
Carole, you have been especially helpful.
Thank you so much.
Wendy
Wendy Williams

Postby Carole Rogers » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:00 am

Glad if I can be of any help to anyone.

Another interesting thing about Paul - who speaks around 7 languages fluently - is that he learnt classical Chinese long before modern Chinese. He is one of the most erudite scholats I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and, as I said before, both he and his wife are charming people.
Carole
Carole Rogers

Postby Acupunk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:57 am

Acupuncture on the other had he believed to be a product of the philosophical traditions of the educated upper classes and was a form of healing kept by them for use on family and friends rather than being utilised for the good of a the wider community.

Hello Carole, these are the ru yi i thing he talks of, although it seems those with formulaic empirical knowledge also tended tp keep it in the family. THis sounds like abit more like a confucianist perspective? Sun si miao seemed like a person, or even the mythical/legendary shen nong, that used their studies for the benefit of everyone regardless of background.

A Great Physician should not pay attention to status, wealth or age; neither should he question whether the particular person is attractive or unattractive, whether he is an enemy or friend, whether he is a Chinese or a foreigner, or finally, whether he is uneducated or educated. He should meet everyone on equal grounds. He should always act as if he were thinking of his close relatives"
He sounds like a moist taoist. Confucianists did well to organise but also good at making everything hierarchical. I found the same is in martial arts today. There have been traditions with protecting people, forging the spirit and evolution for all, while others who keep their systems as guarded treasures for family. Bloody 500 year war(no one trusted anyone after that). China could have ruled the world along time ago if it hadnt been such as a fuedal society. papaer, printing, sail boats, gun powder and the compass all invented by the chinese, yet never been truly united, not even now.
The professor certainly looks like a shcolar , gentleman and important pioneer in bringing understanding of TCM and its origin to the west.!
I thought therefore i was
Acupunk

Previous

Return to Acupuncture general discussions